Monday 27 June 2011

Too much.

So, a lot has happened.
Too much to detail here.

Positive:
When I was at my parents' house in April I told them about J, and after a shaky start (Mum said "I just think of her as your friend"), my parents are doing really well.  Much better than I'd ever hoped actually, because next month they are meeting J!

Not so positive:
Last week I received an email from my older brother (who hasn't known I'm gay for long. He waited about four days before sending the email) criticising and damning me for five pages.  It was horrific, truly truly horrific, and I was upset for a long time.  He quoted Bible verses (like I don't know what they say already?) and made it very clear that he would never support this 'life that I have chosen'.
He had actually sent a copy of the email to my dad, who showed it to my mum and older sister.  They actually all read it before I did, as I was away for the weekend with no Internet connection.  They talked about it, and decided that my dad needed to talk to him about it.  So Dad replied to him and told him it wasn't acceptable.  However, the damage was done, and I still feel sick when I think about it.
My brother has since emailed me to apologise for being so harsh... but has made it clear that his feelings remain unchanged.

Anyway, I'm trying to focus on the good things, and I'm very grateful for the members of my family who are being supportive and want to meet my girlfriend.  When I think back to all the drama of my previous relationships, what I have with J is so fantastically uncomplicated and real :)

1 comment:

Vicki Valentine said...

Ouch, that's more than a harsh response from your brother, I'm always terrified of a reaction like that. Your doing well by focusing on the positives and it's great your family want to meet your girl! :)